4 Days in Kansas

catwhacker

I took my annual trip to Kansas the first week in Jan. My two boys were not able to make it this year due to work and families. I took my two brothers David and Randy. David has never coyote hunted and Randy had went out with me last year. D avid says there is no such thing as coyote fever but would find out later he was wrong. Randy is on the left and David in the center.

018.jpg

We start out the first day in some of the best places that I have been. I called all day and we never seen one coyote a total bust. David is now wondering if I know what I'm doing. We go back to town with our tails between our legs and regroup for the next day. Day two we are out at first light and are getting ready to do a set when Randy says look at your tire. Dang a Flat in Kansas imagine that!! We do the first set anyway and call in one so fast that it's on top of me so fast that I miss and it goes off barking and carrying on so much that it lets everything in the area know we are there. This set is done so off to town for a new tire. $248.24 and 3 hours later we are back in the field. 2nd set of the day is a noon and I called in a small pup and shot it with the 204. We are on the board finally. We got busted a few times due to bright sunshine, wind or movement. The day ended with one.
001-16.jpg

Day three started out being busted on the way in to do a set. This coyote barked for 45 min. I was able to call him back in but no shot was taken it never showed himself again. We moved about 600 yards and I started calling again and a cat comes out and heads our way but a coyote shows up and the cat is gone. That coyote died so now we have two. Last set of the day I called in a female and shoot it with the 204 and start calling again and in comes another one and David kills it with my 700 tac. 223. David has his first coyote kill. We did a double.

011.jpg

014.jpg

Day four we take a long ride down South to a great ranch and set up and start calling and one shows up right away but dosn't like something and turns around and takes off. We do two more sets and I get busted at long range by a coyote with a great nose and away it goes. I sent 3 rounds at it for my sake and miss all three. We then moved to the far side of the ranch and I call in a double up for David and he gets one but thinks coyote fever got in the way of the other one. I knew coyote fever was in there somewhere. The rest of the day was a wash until the last set when a cat showed up in a creek bed 450 yards + and his little white face was glowing in the bright sunlight. I ranged him and looked down to set the range finder down when I looked back up he was gone. OH WELL!! It was a good hunt a we all had a great time. Poor Randy never got to fire a shot.
017.jpg

Five of the six coyotes that we killed were called in with hand calls. My lips were so sore at the end of four days of calling I don't think I could have done a 5th day.
My son Scott made me up a skinning rig for the back of the truck and it worked great. Saves a bunch of time skinning warm coyotes.
It was a great trip with my brothers.

Jim
005-3.jpg

HOM%20-%20Banner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
nice job it looked and sounded like it was a lot of fun. you sure put that skinning pole to work. great story.

Did you hit it with the truck Terry? I know you didn't shoot it with that shiny rifle. Sorry to say I didn't see the first cat.

I bet your brothers cant wait for the next hunt. Once you call one in your hooked ya know
smile.gif
I was really hoping you would have gotten a cat. Oh well they will be there next time.

Great post
Yooper

Originally Posted By: catwhackerDid you hit it with the truck Terry? I know you didn't shoot it with that shiny rifle.

Have not had a complaint from any critter I shot with that shiny rifle.
tongue_smilie.gif

Back